29. Single Review of Where Did the Westerners Go by Joseph Culpepper

Originally published August 13th, 2024

About the Artist

Man, my dad and I were like oil and water. The resentment started when he had the audacity to move our family from the only home I ever knew to Nashville, Tennessee midway through my 6th grade year of school (you know, the least awkward time of an adolescent childhood…. not) but extended throughout my twenties and into my thirties. First there was the moving when I was a kid. Then there was the chain-smoking in our house after my mom was twice diagnosed with breast cancer. Losing his job, and constantly drinking from sun up to sun down; deliberately refusing to help my mom with the bills and leaving the second he knew the bars were opening up so he could go drink and smoke with his buddies, play poker, and shoot pool. We disagreed on fashion, music, movies, politics, religion, oxygen, and everything else. 

In spite of our differences, we had an understanding of one another. My father was a remarkably intelligent person and he loved a good conversation. He was never dismissive of an opinion and he never lost his patience with an opposing viewpoint. He’d lose his patience if my sister and I were bickering over something, but that was different. And, though I claimed to hate his lifestyle choices, some of my best memories with him were the times he would take me to the local VFW and we’d shoot pool or play poker with his friends. My dad was the person who taught me the first three chords I ever learned on the  guitar. He wanted me to be a country singer, of course, and I had my sights on grunge and alternative rock.

My father died five years ago. The resentment I had as a kid has long since faded and I only look back on his memory with endearment. I actually talked about my father with Joseph Culpepper one night about a week ago. As I typically do, I like to network on social media with musicians who participate with Fifteen Minutes of Fame. I will follow everybody on their social media platforms, as well as Spotify so I can be up to date when they have something new or exciting coming up with their music. Joseph responded to my follow with a message of gratitude. He also said how he had been listening to my music on Spotify and gave me input on what he thought. I was a little bit taken aback because I do this for artists. It’s not often artists feel compelled to reciprocate the gesture. It does happen from time to time, but the point is, that’s not why I do this.

We talked about my dad, his Paw Paw, Johnny CashJohn Wayne, my music, and his music. It was a great conversation. I could immediately tell Joseph is a friendly person, a certified country boy, and a good dude. I would later discover that he is a fellow combat veteran. Joseph served with the United States Air Force and I the United States Army. Joseph is from Alabama, he’s married, and he’s a father. 

Musically, Joseph is just getting started as a recording artist. Earlier this year, he released his debut single, Spring Vacation, and he has also played a couple of shows and even attended the Mississippi Songriter's Festival.

About the Song

Where Did the Westerners Go? Is a mid-tempo Country/Western song with a run time of around four minutes and fifteen seconds. It was released on July 26th, 2024. It features Culpepper on vocals and a full band performance that includes drums, bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and slide guitar.

About the Music

Instrumentally, the song takes a supportive role behind Culpepper’s vocal performance. There isn’t much in the way of solo performance with the exception of the slide guitar. The drums live in the pocket, there aren’t any fills or ornamentation there. The guitars and bass guitars stick to a disciplined rhythm and progression. 

Vocally, Culpepper features a baritone to bass range. He doesn’t challenge the upper parts of his range, except for during parts of the chorus and he showcases an impressive ability to project on the lower end of his range. 

Culpepper is about as traditionally country as one can be in 2024. His southern accent pours out through his vocal performance. I can almost feel the sun on my face and smell engine oil burning through the exhaust of an old truck just by listening to it. Culpepper’s tone is very authentic and made for REAL fans of country music. For the most part, he stays on pitch, but there is the occasional note that seems to be trying to find the pitch before resonating in the right place. It’s a minor detail that doesn’t distract from the song. In fact, one could say it’s pretty cowboy.

About the Lyrics

Lyrically, the overall theme is a nostalgic piece where the author is referencing memories of southern tradition that doesn’t seem to be as prominent in society-even (and especially) southern society- anymore.

“Whatever happened to daisydukes, square boots, meeting at the local saloon? Do people still go out and drink a drink stay up late shoot a couple rounds of pool?” The author is taking the role of storyteller as he looks back at an age that wasn’t dominated by the digital norm. 

The chorus has a resounding effect over this subject as he reiterates “Times have changed so much,” the author references how country boys went from wearing cowboy hats to “chains and snap backs.” He closes the chorus with “All I want to know, where did the westerners go?”

The second verse expands on this idea as the author reflects on other southern stereotypes: “Hard work, sweaty shirts, working all day on the farm,” and he makes a nod to how even country music has changed. 

Lyrically, I thought the author did a nice job of playing towards a nostalgic sentiment. Hearing the lyrics had me reflecting on my past and I think that was absolutely his intent.

Final Thoughts

I think this song has the potential to be a solid country record. Lyrically, the song is very well written, as it stays on point and properly drives the message home.

Instrumentally, I think the performance is good. There are some things that could make the song a little bit better. Culpepper is asking “Where did the Westerners Go?” Well, I will go one further and ask “Where did the fiddlers go?” As a fiddle (violin) player myself, one of the first things my ear seeks out in a country song is a fiddle part. It unfortunately seems to be fading a little bit in popularity as of late but make no mistake, nothing screams country like the soulful cry of a fiddle. The song works without it but that’s an ornamental piece of a country band that does more that put a stamp of authenticity to a southern sound.

Second, there was a lead part with the steel guitar but I would encourage you to go a little bigger with a solo part. A rocking electric guitar solo during a bridge in this song could really put an instrumental edge that lifts it to the next level.

I want to stress, I love the song and I have listened to it dozens of times already. I don’t want to take away from how good Joseph Culpepper is. His body of work here is country music, worthy of the name. The notes are elements where I can simply hear good get better.

It was almost serendipitous that Joseph and I had the conversation prior to writing this review. We incidentally had a conversation about my father and his grandfather (Paw Paw) as I had previously mentioned. Talking about those men we revered and the men they revered was a highlight of my weekend. That’s what his song is meant to do. It makes me stop. Take a beat and look back on some of my fondest memories of my past. Memories with my dad. Sure, we had some rough moments but they’ve all but blurred into history and the best parts are what have stayed. Joseph has given this realization some thought as well, and has articulated it beautifully.

We adapt, we evolve, we grow. I can’t answer the question “Where did the cowboys go?” I just recognize, as Joseph Culpepper has, that they went. But they left us with their memories. When we look to the horizon, we can see them, their legendary silhouettes, as they trail off into the sunset.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

01. Introducing…

11. Single Review of Shades of Green by Changeling

08. Home by Lexie Modica